Sunday, April 17, 2011

It Starts With a Ball of Yarn...


                                   

These are just some of the many, many yarn projects I have completed, in the past few years. Crafting from yarn is always a joy for me. Crocheting and knitting are two of the most rewarding and relaxing hobbies I have ever pursued.

 The interest in yarn crafts is at an all-time high right now and there's no sign of that declining. And for good reason. Crocheting/knitting can be a very meditative experience.Many beautiful and quality items can be made for a reasonable price. A hand knit or crochet gift is so special. It could even become a treasured family heirloom. Until you've experienced the process of taking yarn, working with it, following a pattern (or one you make yourself)and then seeing the finished project, you will only then understand the satisfaction of this  wonderful, creative experience. The popularity of yarn crafts for people of all ages is proof of that too!

If you need help getting started there are oodles of free online patterns, instructional videos, classes and knit/crochet groups are gathering in homes and classrooms, all over the world. And a great way to connect with new friends, wherever you live.

Lion Brand is a very good online resource with hundreds of free patterns, instructional videos, a good selection of yarns, tools and much more.It's easier than you might think to get started.

 When I tried crochet for the first time many years ago, I ended up learning just from practising and following photos in a crochet book. I didn't know any other "south-paws" who were "hookers" LOL at the time. When I'd watch a right-handed person crochet, it always looked so awkward and confusing. So with determination and hook in hand, I stayed up most of one night and finally "got it" myself. The crochet granny square throw (first photo in  the collage above) was my first real attempt at crochet. I still have and use this lovely blanket now.

If you already knit or crochet, I hope you will share some of your own finished creations online. I'd love to see them too!
                        
                   
Here's to the Joy of Creating With Yarn!!!
                            

PS: If you've been looking for an easy, free photo editing program to make photo collages, banners  etc, check out my new review of: PhotoScape V 3.5. This photo collage took about 10 minutes to make and I am NOT a techie-person!!.

3 comments:

Teri said...

Ah yes, knitting and crocheting! I have done both learning when I was 5 or 6 from my Aunt. I have made lots of things years ago but not so much anymore. My Mother knit so many gifts; afghans,sweaters, mittens, you name she could knit it. Now my daughter knits so the family tradition continues! Makes me happy to see her doing this and she is also my quilter. I think she got my family genes.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Hi Ger,
I like the collage of a few of your yarn projects. I especially like your first granny square afghan. I'm partial to granny squares - I like the folksiness of them.

I've recently finished a granny square baby afghan, for a friend, and next is another baby afghan for the newborn of one of my son's friends.

I haven't really done alot, I think because Mom was so fabulously talented I didn't have to do any, but I'm enjoying it abit now. I like the meditative aspect to it too - it frees my mind to wander and ponder abit. :)

Good post.
Have a great week!
B

Geraldine said...

Hi Teri, I thought you'd probably enjoy yarn crafts. Sounds like it's a long time tradition in your family. And what a good one it is.

Hi Brenda, I love all things granny squared too! It is truly a meditative experience. I've let my crochet and knit projects slide a bit lately but planning a "craft day" later this week to catch up.

Happy Week, G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...