Monday, April 4, 2011

There's a Song in Your Heart, Let it Out!

                                     
I have always loved to sing !

Many years ago I sang on a semi-professional basis for quite some time. I was also a finalist (twice) in one of Canada's prestigious country music competitions: Big Country Music Awards in the 80's.

Let me tell you, I belted out a respectable rendition of some of the musical hits of the time like: Desperado, Someday Soon, Stand By Your Man and Catch the Wind to name but a few. What fun it was and what an unexpected pleasure to find that other people (including some who had been in the biz for a long time) thought I had a talent for singing too.

Years later, in 2000 I decided to get back into singing and took more voice lessons, in a more classical vein this time. What a joy it was to rediscover the freedom and pleasure of singing!

 Of course I've always tried to remember to "lighten up the day" with a song, humming along to a CD, singing while driving etc. The times I really remember the true joy of singing are many and varied. One thing I did not know until recently were the many health benefits associated with singing.

This article was very interesting, listing various health benefits directly related to singing including: improved memory, lung capacity and lowering blood pressure to name but three. It includes an extensive list of health benefits of singing and just one of many lists/articles that  I found online.

Whether you consider yourself a singer or not, it's a great way to improve each day and your life. And it doesn't have to cost a dime! Even if you start in the shower and go from there, you might surprise yourself and go on to share your singing voice with the world. You just never know! It's all good.

5 comments:

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Thanks for the link to this article Geraldine, very interesting food for thought!
I do sing throughout my day at work, and often find that if a child is frightened or hurt, that he/she calms down if I sing.
This article really explains well the benefits of singing.
When I was a child I was afraid of going to the dentist, and I was blessed with a dentist who sang funny tunes as he worked, which always calmed me right down, and I've never forgotten this.
Brenda

Anonymous said...

What a multi-talented person you are! I am impressed!
This is new to me, and very interesting.

Teri said...

Wow, you are multi-talented for sure. I think a video of you singing would be in order soon.

Geraldine said...

Hi Brenda, I'm glad you enjoyed the article. Singing is calming, I agree and at any age.

Hi SandyL, Aren't you nice! Thank you.You've got a lot of talent too.

Hi Teri, I don't know about a video but I still love to sing! Maybe you could incorporate the joy of singing into a painting sometime? That would be very interesting. I love your art and look forward to new paintings to see at your blogs.

Happy Tuesday, G

SandyCarlson said...

I think we just have to sing out. I have been paying attention to what I listen to, and I make sure its stuff that helps me feel good. I can't sing, but I don't care!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...