Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Do you have one BIG dream...

....a wish, a desire, a goal for something that you always wanted to do and perhaps never really thought was possible?

I do!

My one BIG dream is to complete my degree. A goal never realised, that started way back in the 70's.

Yes, I know it's a long time ago. I've managed without a degree all these years (sometimes quite well financially, sometimes not, especially when I was living on my own at times). But it isn't just about the better-paying jobs that may have been missed along the way. Things were different back then. The job market in Canada was flourishing. Often times, I had to decide between jobs to accept and many were good-paying jobs. No, it's so much more than that.

I had been fortunate at that time, to be accepted into the Journalism program at one of Canada's top schools for this degree: Ryerson in Toronto. I was honored, but really didn't take it for what it was, a huge opportunity that could have had life-long benefits.

And for someone coming from the "hay-seed" Prairies of Canada (or so I felt about Saskatchewan at the time) to the publishing center of Canada and the BIG city (yes, I was the only Saskatchewan student in my classes!) it was heady stuff indeed.

At 18, I thought I knew it all and would conquer all. Can you relate?


Well, as the saying goes, life happens...I won't bore you with all the details. Suffice to say, my parents were furious with me when in my second semester (and coasting along with a 75-80% average with no problem) I decided to throw in the towel/degree for several reasons that I thought were valid, with the intention to go back to school after a year or two off. That never happened.

I got married (for the first time) and my husband fell in love with the Prairies and wanted to live there permanently. He was from Ontario and found the change to a slower pace etc... refreshing. For me, it became more and more obvious that I had made a very big mistake, leaving school and all that course of action would have meant. But I lived with it and didn't do anything about rectifying my feelings of failure in  other ways. After all, Ryerson and Toronto weren't the only places I could go to school. I didn't see it that way at the time, or for a long time.

So, here I am...all these years later with a dream to get that degree. It won't be in Journalism now, I'd like to pursue Art History as a major, one of my passions for a long, long time. I am still trying to work my way through the maze of online options and perhaps will combine these with a real classroom setting somewhere, depending on where we move (yes, that's something in the works too). So much to consider. The good news, I've been advised that as a mature student, I will be allowed credit for life skills, work history, even my past enrollment at Ryerson counts. So that's all good. But still, it's daunting in so many ways.

But the time to hesitate and debate is long over. If I am ever going to put a check mark beside this big "to do" on my life-list, it's got to be soon.

To quote one of my own favorite quotes: "the best way to begin, is, to begin."

And as my wise and dear friend Sandy Carlson said recently in a comment here:

"I wouldn't turn the clock back for anything. I like to believe (and hope) that I've made my biggest mistakes and can start getting things right."


Here, here Sandy!!! I couldn't agree more.

Do you have one really BIG dream that you still want to see come true? One that you perhaps thought was now unattainable but still, it lurks in the back of your mind? Do share. I would appreciate the inspiration. 

To be honest, I am scared of failing... really really scared. That's part of all the years of delay and procrastination. At the same time, I know I have to do this and want to try to make this one big dream still come true.


Wish me luck!!!

11 comments:

lissa said...

I hope you succeed. I think without the fear of failure, we might not think it's worth while.
Good luck!

thanks for your visiting and if your curious as to what medium I used, I handdrawn with a pencil and scan it into my computer and digitally color it in Adobe Photoshop. I do use color pencil and water color now and then but technology has became a habit, too hard to break.

Mullin Avenue Workshop said...

Geraldine,
This takes courage, and determination - but as well you have awesome life experience, and a mature viewpoint to help as you work towards your goal.
I think completing a degree is a very worthwhile goal.
Sometimes I think about doing the same, and I'll be very interested to hear how things proceed for you.
Hugs,
Brenda

Anonymous said...

I have no doubt that you can do this, and do it well. Isn't life exciting?

Can't wait to hear more.

Teri said...

Of course you can do it!! Look at all you have done already. It is a big step but as you said...just start..and you have, just by making the decision to start.

I know it can be done because I did it also. Went back to get my nursing degree and graduated at age 46 and I was working and still had children at home. I was very proud when I got my degree and crossed that goal off my life list. And now I am doing something so totally different and I love the life is taking me.

We will all be here cheering you on and available for any help you may need.

Margie said...

Follow your dreams!
I wish you all the luck in the world!
You can do it!

Margie x

Joseph said...

You will make this dream come true. You will succeed. So many times people have dreams that they don't follow through with, that's the hard part. You can't relive the past, just look forward to the future.

Geraldine said...

Hi Lissa, Thanks for your kind and thoughtful words and also the heads up about your drawings. Readers, stop by Lissa's place and prepare to be dazzled! Her artwork is amazing.

Hi Brenda, Thank you for this lovely comment, so kind of you. I hope you are back online soon.

Hi SandyL, Thanks for the vote of confidence. Life should be exciting, I agree!

Hi Teri, Your comment brought tears to my eyes, how touching. Thank you. And for sharing your inspiring story too. I'm sure you are a wonderful nurse!

Hi Margie, Thanks Margie, that's what it's all about, isn't it?

Hi Joe, It's the follow through that proves to be the clincher, I agree. I am so ready to make this come true.

Thank you all for your lovely, inspiring comments, most appreciated.

Hugs, G

Anonymous said...

I wanted to say first of all, Geraldine, that I don't think you'd fail. You are a highly intelligent, motivated, hard working person and there is no reason for you to fail. I have the utmost faith in you.

I also wanted to say how inspiring it is that you still hold onto this dream and that everything you have done in your life will now contribute to you realising that dream. I am so excited for you and so pleased. Go for it ,G !!!

Lorraine said...

Follow your heart, you dream...and never give up, although the dream can change and that's aok

SandyCarlson said...

Follow your dream, beautiful lady! It's good to look back and smile with tenderness and compassion for our younger selves. And then to live well!

Geraldine said...

Hi Sel, You are too kind. Wow, such beautiful sentiments that you've shared here, thank you.

Hi Lorraine, Welcome and thanks so much.

Hi SandyC, You spoke to me, with your words. Thanks for all your kindness and support, for so many years.

Hugs, G

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...